[openmamba-devel] Unity Linux and Ark Linux

Silvan Calarco silvan.calarco at mambasoft.it
Sun Jul 18 18:20:10 CEST 2010

In data giovedì 15 luglio 2010 04:46:12, Kristopher Gamrat ha scritto:
> Hello,
> It's been awhile since I have emailed the mailing list. There are a couple
> distributions that I would like you guys to considering collaborating with.
>
> Unity Linux is a base upon other distributions can build upon. They would
> like to borrow the post-install wizard (the one where you can add or
> upgrade various parts of the distribution). In return, we can offer you
> guys help in building 64bit versions of openmamba. They have their own
> Mailing List at http://groups.google.com/group/ul-developers and an IRC
> channel (
> #unitylinux on irc.freenode.net )
>
> Ark Linux's dockyard-devel (development version) has a new init system that
> you guys can use once dockyard-devel has been stabilized. We would also be
> able to use GRUB2 and the post-install wizard mentioned above. They have
> their own IRC channel ( #arklinux on irc.arklinux.org , accessible via
> http://arklinux.org/?q=irc ) and a mailing list at
> http://groups.google.com/group/arklinux-support .
>
> Both of these are RPM5 based distributions that can help you guys convert
> to RPM5 (if you haven't done so already).

Hi Piki,
thank you for writing about these interesting collaboration opportunities
between Unity Linux, Ark Linux and openmamba. I already talked about this in
the past and my proposal was to create a cross-distribution mailing list for
discussing common problems and sharing resources and development. The
openmamba post-install wizard is a simple interface that could be easily
ported to other distributions, but it has the problem that is uses kommander,
which hasn't really been ported to kde 4, so it leaves a dependency on kde 3
which I would like to remove, and that could be, for instance, a discussion
subject on such a list.
About porting openmamba to x86_64, sorry for the delay since our last contact,
but in silence a lot of work has been done in openmamba to support multiple
architectures and the porting is at a good level for arm eabi platforms thanks
to a job mambasoft is involved in. On the x86_64 side, currently you can
install openmamba for x86 and then a x86_64 kernel from the devel-kernel
repositories, I've using this on a server for months and it works fine (64 bit
kernel with 32 bit system), also many base packages have been ported to 64 bit
and tools have been made to support this, so if you still would like to help I
can now provide a metodology for doing this.
We can more easily port openmamba to RPM 5 now that we have removed some
dependent problems on the current package base, like executable requirements,
but this is currently planned later, because we wanted first to align the
distribution to the most update software, with automatic management, including
the kernel and X.org.
Anyhow, these priorities can change if discussion on cross-distribution
development may lead to more advantages, so my proposal for now is to create
the above mentioned mailing list with developers from different similar
(probably this means rpm based) distributions and of course I offer myself to
create and host this list if there is interest. I hope to hear from you on
this, thanks!

Silvan

--
mambaSoft di Calarco Silvan